Sunday 12 November 2017

#nonwingsunday - Philly Cheese-steak from Centrale Bergham

This isn't a full review - but I thought I'd give my two cents.


A month or two ago I stopped into Centrale Bergham on Bank Street in Ottawa. I had been wanting to try this Montreal based, German (named?), Halal rooted,  international sandwich shop shop for a while. I had been intrigued to try their Buffalo sandwich, except I expected chicken wing, but when I read the ingredients, it listed "Marinated Chicken thigh top kebab spices in BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese and chips Doritos." Fascinating, but kebab, bbq sauce, cheese and Doritos don't belong in something called Buffalo. I'd be up for it, but wrongly named.


I was not really in a chicken mood anyway. I wanted beef. Yes sometimes the Lord of the Wings needs a beef fix. So I went with the Philly Cheese-steak.



 Let me say upfront this was a tasty sandwich. I loved the soft warm bun. The meat was beefy and tender. The peppers were cooked well as well. It totally hit that beef craving and I had to slow my eating down because I just wanted to inhale the whole thing.

I did not know about the peppers because it wasn't listed in the toppings. What also ruined it for me were mushrooms. I forgot to ask for no mushrooms. I hate mushrooms. Every bite was ruined with mushrooms. Mushrooms don't even come on a cheese steak.

It came to over $10 for the sandwich that was not that big, but it was filled with meat. This was not a traditional Philly cheese-steak, but it was damn good. I'd go back and have it again, sans mushrooms and maybe a hit of hot sauce.

No comments: