Sunday 8 January 2012

It Came From The Back of the Cupboard: Dave's & Nance's Wing Sauces



During the winter break holidays I was home visiting my folks. One afternoon I was going through their pantry, when waaaaay at the back I made two discoveries. My parents keep a very clean kitchen so this was quite the discovery. But everyone has some story or some item hidden in the back of the cupboard, or the closet.

In this case it was two very old bottles of chicken wings sauce:


Dave's

I haven't tasted this sauce for a very long time. But it brought back memories.



"Also sensational on many of your favourite foods


I think we first got this sauce when visiting my Uncle and family in Nova Scotia, and then he would send some at Christmas time too. They still are around apparently, but don't have a website, just facebook. I would date this sauce from about the early to mid 90's.


I remember this being more like a BBQ sauce than a hot sauce. The sugary ingredients seem to support that memory.


 Cooking methods are about the same today. Like Dr Who or Bill & Ted's time traveling telephone booths, this cupboard took me back!



It doesn't look so good now, but I remember having tasty wings. Does anyone else remember having Dave's?



Nance's

The other  jar of sauce I found was Nance's. Sadly, not opened and I don't ever remember having this sauce. Nance's seems to be still around, but part of the Baldwin Richardson Foods Co.. If they are the same Nance's, they have changed the recipe.


Not only could I tell it was old by the label or the stained lid, but the price tag was a huge give away. IGA became LOEB in town long ago, and closed down back in the mid 2000's.


I like that both sauces recognize the importance of tossing the sauce in a covered container.


This sauce is much more of a sweet sauce - the spiciest thing in there is mustard flour. I wonder what it tasted like?


It's sad to see the sauces never got used. It gets me scared, because I have a ton of hot sauces unopened in my own pantry. I guess that means I'll just have to eat more wings this year . . .

So what's in the back of your pantry? Do you have sauces waiting to be tried out? Have you tried either of these sauces and remember them?

2 comments:

Chris said...

I have a back log of sauces to get too but I try to stay pretty current. Definitely nothing mid-90s, ha ha.

Here's something for WWWW http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Amy-from-Eat-More-Heat-Gunning-to-Eat-2012-Wings-in-2012-for-Charity

Lord of the Wings said...

@Chris - Ooh that's good. Wednesday is coming soon!