Friday 4 July 2008

Laredo Hot Sauce: Sauce Review

LJ had been to Costco and said she had a surprise for me. I opened up the bag and inside was a 1.9 litre of chicken wing sauce! The gift that keeps on giving.



The sauce was Laredo. I've never heard of it - but at 1.9l hopefully it would be! She got me the 'Chicken Wing Sauce' , but according to a website (that I can't find any more - I remember when I actually tried this sauce weeks ago, I really had to search for information on them . . . now I can't find it. Dang I should have saved it) in one photo I found, hey also have 'Louisiana' sauce and 'Suicide' sauce.



The sauce ingredients started with Cayenne Peppers, which suggest that there was going to be some heat, but it wasn't going to be killer in pain. It did sounds like a traditional Buffalo wing style sauce.


It was quite and orange coloured sauce when I poured it out. This is common with a lot of bottled wing sauces - which can be good or bad.


I followed the instructions on the bottle for the wings - baking them, then basting with sauce.


The basting process kept the wings in an orange glow. But I'm really not a fan of baking the wings.


2008 SAUCE SCORE v1.0: Laredo Chicken Wing Sauce
BOTTLE INFO
TYPE:
Chicken wing sauce
PRICE & BOTTLE SIZE:
1.9 litres
SAUCES:
Others from website include:

  • Louisiana Red (177 ml, also a jug)
  • Suicide Sauce
INGREDIENTS:
Cayenne peppers, vinegar, soybean oil, natural butter flavouring, salt garlic, xantham gum
CLAIMS/SLOGANS:
“Frankly Better”
THE SENSES
APPEARANCE /TEXTURE:
Orange colour, runny but slightly viscous
SMELL:
Very buttery traditional wing sauce
FLAVOUR:
Buttery cayenne sauce – salty
THE PAIN
HEAT:
  • Tingle= I can feel it, but barely. The pain is concentrated on the lips mainly.
1/3
BURN CHRONOLOGY:
Beginning Burn
Middle Burn
After Burn
The tingle is there to start, lingers, and stays for a little while. It’s not strong but it stays on the lips
X
X
X
TASTE:
Ok – very buttery flavour and a tingle, but this would be a good base for a mixed sauce, or for marinating before cooking the wings.
1/3
FINAL SCORE
2/6
OTHER:






I tossed the wings once more in the sauce to make sure they were nice and wet. With the wings being baked, I wanted to make sure the sauce was going to compensate for the lack of deep fried wing goodness. The butter flavour was certainly dominant. Butter and salt.


What really surprised me about this sauce was the heat. It didn't knock my socks off, but as soon as I took a bite, I could feel the tingle on my lips. Then it stayed on the lips. And even after I finished my wings, the tingle lingered for a while afterward. Nothing hit inside the mouth, or at the back, but I was impressed for its staying power.


FINAL SCORE: So overall, the sauce was decent. It didn't score very high as a sauce to go on its own. However, I think it would make an excellent base in which to add sauces to, or to marinate the wings in before cooking, and then saucing. For a sauce that seems to play on Frank's Red Hot with a slogan "Frankly Better", they still need to keep trying. 2/6


Laredo Chicken Wing Sauce
ucfg.ca

PS: Thanks LJ!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am the Broker/ Manufacturer of Laredo Hot Sauce call our hotline at 1-800- 862-0924 to locate our Sauces or place an order
Thanks for the great review!
Cheers,
Andrea Lang

Unknown said...

Where could I get a bottle of this sauce? I live in idaho